Sustainable Construction is a promising investment. The pression on the energetic costs, the necessity of a sustainable management of natural resources and the improval of the quality of the workplace are testimonials for the pertinence of this investment.
A sustainable property
To determine the return of a Sustainable Construction, an other evaluation method is required than for a standard construction because of :
- an increased number of factors involved (location, use, shape)
- the management of exploitation costs, significantly favourable for the occupant
- lengthening the lifespan of the building and facilitating re-allocation because it is accounted for in the original design
- an overall qualitative improvement, not only in health terms but also in terms of resource use and benefits for the society in general
Sustainable Construction brings a real change, making quantative comparaisons difficult. This is why the pertinence can sometimes be doubted if there is no global image and if the choices are not documented.
Not a lot of extra costs
A study published by the World Business Council for Sustainable Development (WBCSD) revealed that construction industry professionals over-estimate by 300% the costs of constructing an environmentally friendly building. Contrary to general belief, these extra costs represent about 5%.
A study by McGraw-Hill (in 2005) gathered the opinions of real estate professionals and calculated the added value of “green buildings” in comparison with standard buildings:
- Resale value 7.5% higher
- ROI (Return On Investment) improved by 6.6%
Moreover, a Sustainable Construction also allows a number of qualitative improvements that, either directly or indirectly, influence project returns, including:
- a better use of space
- a more judicious siting choice
- a higher productivity
- an image of innovation and social commitment
An objective added value
A Valideo certified building benefits from an objective added value over the short and long-term. This system is in fact guaranteed by recognized players of certification who ensure the proper design of the project.
Learn more about the approach of the Valideo certification system.